Tuesday 15 November 2011

Saul Bass (Case Study)


Saul Bass (May 8, 1920 – April 25, 1996) was a Jewish-American, graphic designer and filmmaker, best known for his design on animated motion picture title sequences.

Born 1920 in Bronx, ditrcit of New York.
Studied at the art students league in New York under Gyorgy hopes, a Hungarain graphic designer.
After apprenticships in Manhattan with design films, he worked as a free lance graphic designer or 'commercial artist' as the were called.

During his 40-year career Bass worked for some of Hollywood's greatest filmmakers, including Alfred Hitchcock, Otto Preminger, Stanley Kubrick and Martin Scorsese. Amongst his most famous title sequences are the animated paper cut-out of a heroin addict's arm for Preminger's The Man with the Golden Arm, the text racing up and down that eventually becomes a high-angle shot of the United Nations building in Alfred Hitchcock's North by Northwest, and the disjointed text that races together and apart in Psycho (1960).

Bass designed the sixth AT&T Bell System logo, as well as AT&T's "globe" logo after the breakup of the Bell System. He also designed Continental Airlines' 1968 "jetstream" logo which became one of the most recognized airline industry logos of the 1970s. Here are some of Saul bass's work in pre title sequence design;
 








In this lesson we also started our own case study for a pre title sequence designer or our choice. I have decided to choose Danny Yount as the designer that I am going to make a case study on in PowerPoint. The reason I chose Danny Yount is because when looking on ‘watch the title.com’ I saw a list of pre title designers and when clicking randomly on pre title designers and looking at their work, I came across Danny Yount’s work and although there wasn’t much information on him about his background I still went ahead with doing my case study on him as when I looked at some of the pre title sequences he had done, there were very interesting ones there that I wanted to sink my teeth into and get analysing. In this lesson (Lesson 3) I started my case study on Danny Yount in PowerPoint and then completed it in my own time ready to present for next lesson.


No comments:

Post a Comment