Monday 14 November 2011

Lesson 1, 2 And My Own Research

This is my journal for my own thoughts and ideas that I have. This journal will be used to talk about anything interesting that I have found out in my lessons or though my own research, it will also be used to talk about how my lessons and my own research have given me ideas for my own pre title sequence.

In lesson 1 we were taught the basic fundamentals of pre title sequences. What I found most interesting about this lesson was the codes and conventions for a pre title sequence. They interested me a lot as these were the set of rules that would make up the basic plan for my pre title sequence. So when looking at them in my own time I found that they gave me ideas and thoughts for my own pre title sequence and how to go about planning it and making it. The ideas it gave me were mostly of what things to include in my titles for my sequence such as full cast and crew and the film title. It also notified me of how much is communicated to the audience through the pre title sequence and how much we’d have to communicate through our pre title sequence about our film. This point made me think hard and dig deep down in my mind as when thinking about it, it seemed impossible to me but when looking at other pre title sequences that I’ve seen the ideas in my head began to grow and for the first time I believed that it is possible to make a pre title sequence that does all the thing in the codes and conventions, it would just require a lot of work from me and my team.

In lesson 2 was where my ideas really began to grow as we watched a few pre title sequences such as se7en and catch me if you can and these put a few ideas in my head; for example, I like the idea of having one person with a 360 degree angle of them as thing happen in fast pace all around them and as time is going on this person whether it be man or woman gets bumps and bruises and cuts and sore on his or hers face as the camera pans round the close up of their face. The idea of the 360 pan is to show the passing of time and what this person has had to go through and in the background the music that I might want to use is Gary Jules ‘Mad world’, but make my own version of it as if to suit this person and what may or may not occur in the film. This is one of the reason that I got from watching the pre title sequence from se7en, even though this pre title sequence has nothing in it to do with what I just said it made me think of that idea, perhaps it was the odd background used for the titles and the fact that it made you feel uncomfortable when watching it and I think I would use this same theme of being uncomfortable when watching my pre title sequence as it communicates strong points to the audience as to what the film may be like or about, as well as what the genre may be.

The pre title sequence of catch me of you can also gave me ideas if ever I wanted to have more than one idea for my sequence as I liked the fluidity of the titles and how the seem to slide smoothly into the next shot, I think if ever I was to make something along the lines of this that I would use the technique of fluidness with the titles in mine.  Also when looking at lesson 2 it has also helped a lot with how to go about using fonts for my titles design for my sequence as plenty can be communicated to the audience just through the titles and the font and colouring of the titles, also how they appear and disappear, as well as where they are placed on the screen and the background they are placed on. This has taught me that I need to pay close attention to the font and colours that I use for my titles and see if they match the story line and genre of the film that I am making a pre title sequence for. Finally lesson 2 was extremely helpful for me as it gave me the plan for what order the titles should be shown in and so now when making my pre title sequence I can refer back to this and see the order that they should be in.

Finally my own research helped me as I got a chance to look at some more pre title sequences that intrigued me. In my own research I looked in greater detail at a title designer called Kyle Cooper. The reason why I chose Kyle Cooper was because his work appealed to me a lot and has been compared to one of the greatest titles designer that is Saul bass so I decided that this would be the designer that would be the most interesting to look at in great detail. When looking at Kyle Coopers work in greater detail I was surprised at how many famous titles he had designed and the significance they had to the film. I decided to analysis two of his pre title sequence that he has created, these were Spider-man and Iron Man. I analysed these two as they were well known films and were clearly successful as they have been into sequels. The ideas that I got from my own research was that you may not even need to show a character in your sequence as Kyle Cooper has made the pre title sequence spider-man without showing any characters at all and Kyle cooper has done this very effectively as this does communicate to the audience that clearly the main character doesn’t want to be shown on the screen to show the audience that he doesn’t want any of the public within the film to know that he is a superhero. This to me is a very good idea that I could incorporate into my work for my pre title sequence as is it is still as effective as using a character maybe even more effective in some cases. Once again in Iron Man a character is used only in the first shot to indicate to the audience that he is one of the main characters within the film, this is another good idea that I could use for my pre title sequence as it would communicate to the audience straight away that the guy in the first shot (using a close up) is the main character within the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment