Wednesday 16 November 2011

Lesson 3, Saul Bass Case Study And My Own Case Study

Lesson 3 and my own case study has helped me with ideas regarding my pre title sequence as they have given me new thoughts in which to play about with in my mind. What we did in lesson 3 was analysed the Dawn of the Dead pre title sequence and then looked at a case study on Saul Bass. I then planned my own case study for a title designer of my choice and then made the case study in PowerPoint. My case study was on the title designer Danny Yount, I chose this designer as his work interested the most out of all the pre title designers I saw on the website ‘watch the titles.com’.

These things that I have done above have helped me with constructing my own ideas for my pre title sequence as they have given me many thoughts as to what to incorporate in my pre title sequence and how to go about doing it. The first piece thing that has helped me is what I did in lesson 3. It has helped me as we looked at yet another pre title sequence to boost my ideas for how to go about making my own pre title sequence and also gave me many options with what genre to do for my title sequence. The pre title sequence that we analysing was Dawn of the Dead, when anaylsing this title sequence I found enigmas in it straight from the start. An Enigma is a question that is communicated to the audience in any means necessary that stays with the audience until that question is answered within the film. Dawn of the dead helped me with my own ideas for my pre title sequence as it helped me see how to go about making a zombie horror title sequence. It also gave me ideas for if I was to do a horror genre title sequence, then I would know what sort of sound to use, such as the sound track used in Dawn of the Dead which is quite a psychological one that doesn’t match with what is happening on screen, the name for this sort of sound is contrapuntal sound. Also this title sequence has given me ideas on what sort of editing to use if I was to do a horror genre title sequence. The editing I would use would be slow paced editing at first and then I’d surprise the audience with fast paced editing to get them on the edge of their chair and prepare them for what is to come.

The second thing that has helped me with ideas for my title sequence is the case study that I took notes on for Saul Bass. The Saul Bass case study has helped me with my own ideas as it has given me an understanding of where title sequences first began and how I could go about doing my title sequence from different angels instead of using main technology to create my pre title sequence. Also looking at the case study has helped me with my work as it has allowed me to see title sequences from when they first become popular and how this man (Saul Bass) has contributed to the overall uniqueness of pre title sequences themselves.

The case study that I independently done was on Danny Yount, as I explained before I chose him randomly on a website (watch the titles.com) and looked at some of his work which appealed to me so I decided to do it on him. This helped me with my own ideas as once again I was able to watch many pre title sequences and analyse them in depth to get more thoughts on how to best to go about doing my own pre title sequence. Also when making my PowerPoint I was able to present it to the class which then boosted my confidence in presenting things and also talking about pre title sequences to a group of people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment